Tuesday, January 19, 2010

// Mission \\

It is thought by many that everyone has a purpose in life, rather it be great or small. However, as no living human being possesses this knowledge (for themselves or anyone for that matter), we must find our mission through one of two ways: Discover it or create it.

For one to discover their mission could take years of meditation, contemplation, and intense examination of their life as well as skills and interests. However, since most of us do not have the time or patience (thanks to certain societal constraints), we must choose the alternate method: Create it.

After taking a while to reflect inwardly and think about what I've done and what I would like to do, I've come to the conclusion that my mission in life is to develop interactive content for both professional and personal use. To be more specific: Flash and Web based interactive content.

In terms of Web content, I would be satisfied doing anything from a simple bare-bones website to a completely database driven web page that includes forms and interactive applications (games, search engine, etc.).

From my own past experience, I am aware of a company that has accomplished this goal through not only working for them in an internship, but also viewing their recent projects on their web page: Plow Digital.

Plow Digital is a company that specializes in developing interactive content, using various technologies such as Flash, ASP, and PHP. The content various from client to client, but they waste no time in providing effective and enjoyable interactive content. I hope to one day be able to develop such content myself, and already am working towards that goal.

One of the biggest things I hope to learn that they have is 1) knowing your audience 2) being able to interpret the needs of your client 3) having the patience to take time to learn even when in the position already.

I will focus on continuing to learn more skill sets. While already familiar with ActionScript 3 and XHTML/CSS and other web technologies, I plan to also learn C# in the near future (This may change to ASP.Net, as this will more than likely be utilized rather than C#. Regardless either skill set will be very helpful).

In terms of my current skillsets, I plan to enhance them to a point where I can develop similar content created by Plow Digital, in terms of quality as well as capability. However, to imitate will not be my goal. Rather, I wish simply to emulate and, as soon as I’ve reached their level of quality, surpass that level.

Thus ends the explanation of my mission. It is my hope that from this you’ll have a better understanding of myself in terms of where I am and where I wish to be. I know that it will be a long and difficult journey, as is anything worthwhile. However, I will not falter of break; I will continue and reach my goal, regardless of any detractors.

6 comments:

  1. David

    I had not thought of "my mission in life" in those terms before. My feeling is that in the world today as I see it, it will not matter if you know C# or I think you might mean C++, Visual Basic, CSS, ASP.net, etc. It will be the essence of who you are inside. I think that is what the message was in our last class. I often have heard the very same thing from my Computer Science Teachers. Because who knows in 10 years from now what language we will be using to create websites and/or will we even have websites or have something new? Who knows? The secret is what is inside of you I think. As for me I have always been a creative person. The thoughts somehow just come to me and I just start creating. This is similar into how I write. Some say I could write you a novel. LOL

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lucky to be talented with C++ and ASP.net, css, all the hard parts of new media that my brain cant seem to wrap itself around.

    Luckily, designing has worked out for me.

    I agree with your three goals you want to learn.
    1) knowing your audience
    2) being able to interpret the needs of your client
    3) having the patience to take time to learn even when in the position already.

    I think I struggle with 3 the most. I have a lack of patience in general, let alone in the career field. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly it sounds as you have a great way on keeping your goals at a reachable place but yet expecting to be able to push past and over achieve on all of them. What in your life helps keep that fire burning with in you, For me I have my kids to help push me when I am down or feeling like I am stuck. Without them I feel like I would be at a different place. What keeps you in your place? If that makes any sense!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to seeing some of your work and understanding how you work to achieve the goals you've set for yourself. Are you doing any work in the nonprofit sector in Indy? I'm sure you could find a cause that you feel passionate about and pull together an amazing sample of work to have in your portfolio, that helps you stand about above the crowd. I know NOTHING about C#.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelley,

    Once you have accomplished the goals listed what do you think your next list of goals will be, or do you think that these goals will take a lifetime to achieve?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @rickjmorris - That is very true; what matters is knowing HOW to program, not the specific language.

    @morethanrubies - I am not talented in C#/ASP.Net yet. However, I plan to be one day! =D
    Yeah, that goal will be hard for me too.

    @Joe Kemp - I guess my girlfriend and a need to be successful is what drives me.

    Sometimes I don't even know what meeks me going.

    @Kellie Welborn - Yeah, as far as my work goes, I am more than happy to show that as it's made. I just have to sign up with Go Daddy since Hostgator doesn't allow Windows server. ;_;

    @Ellis Gary - Well, I think that these goals will be continuous. Essentially, it goes like this: I know my audience wants product A and the client wants feature package B, but I need to know Program C to make it.

    At least that's my view.
    Thank you all for your replies; I will do what I can to keep up with it and start replying to you guys as well! =D

    ReplyDelete