Wednesday, February 3, 2010

// Observation \\

I've come to learn more things about myself as time goes on through this course. I've found that I've one that has issues when it comes to being confident in my own decisions, along with an unusually high need to do things that peers and perhaps society itself condones.

The question comes: Why? I've been thinking more and more about this, and come to realize it's just something I have to get over. Often this has caused me to second guess myself, perhaps even miss great opportunities.

One must make their own decisions in life, but not completely ignore sense, reason, or completely disregard acceptable "standards". However, I don't wish to simply be one who worries day after day about rather or not what I say or do will ultimately be accepted.

I also have learned that I need to recognize when to act a particular way. For example, saying certain things to one person or group may be bad while perfectly acceptable to another. One would think knowing such things is common sense, but when it comes to me common sense is quite rare at times.

Anyway, I'm glad to have been able to have time to reflect on this and just talk. See you guys Thursday!

1 comment:

  1. Hi David,
    I completely agree that opportunities can be missed when one worries about what is safe to do or say, when others may disagree with your perspective. However, I don't believe that you can ever be truly happy, if you aren't true to yourself. If what you love to do is design games, then do whatever it takes to give this kind of career a "go." If you fail, at least you know you tried to make it work, and you were doing something that made you happy in the process. So many people I know work in a job they don't have any passion for, because it was something they were roped into doing in one way or another. Or maybe they enjoyed it at one point, but are now hating every working moment, but are too afraid of leaving their post because they are scared of the unknown. Our lives are finite - some lives even shorter than others. You need to be true to yourself and figure out what is going to fulfill YOU. It's much easier to make others around you happy, when you are feeling good about the choices you've made in your life, and are doing something that makes your soul sing.
    With regard to not communicating your ideas to others for fear of saying things people don't agree with, that's why we are so lucky to live in this great country of ours - we can say anything we want to. It's when we take action against the law of the land that things get a little wonky. But, I'm assuming you're talking about navigating the waters of internal politics. Yes, it can be quite difficult. But, there are LOTS of resources out there to help us all figure out how to say what's on our minds in such a way that is less likely to offend others (especially bosses). Sometimes is simply a matter of the way you phrase an idea that is the difference between making someone defensive and creating a safe and open dialog.

    ReplyDelete